Toast with Sake! Honey chicken drumstick is ready to serve!

Two kitchen appliances I long for, a proper oven and a food mixer. I know they are "the basic of the basic" in western family, yet, it is not as needed as it is in Taiwan if you have a multi-functional steamer. For me, the shortage of appliance become the most exciting and inspiring moment in the kitchen when try different approaches.

After few visits in Asia market, I've decided to buy a bottle of Sake to show regards to Japanese recipe and also indulge myself taking a sip of the fragrance in the afternoon.

 

This recipe is inspired and adapted from a famous cooking blog, Just one cookbook, it is a easy recipe that even my dad can do it (the only thing he can "cook" is cooking instant noodles) if you have an oven. Given my circumstance, I tried to create the similar texture with the steamer and fry pan. I gave myself a 8.5 (out of 10) because the shinny silk colour of drumstick made me ask for another bowl of rice. 1.5 is for crunchy texture that needs to be improved next time!

Ingredients:
1. Five chicken drumsticks (I use turkey drumsticks this time)
2. Pinch of white sesame (optional)

Seasonings:
1. 1 Tsp soy sauce
2. 1 Tsp oyster soy sauce
3. 1 1/2 Tsp honey
4. 1 Tsp of Sake
5. Pinch of black pepper and salt




Instructions:
1. Clean the drumsticks thoroughly and pat dry
2. Use fork to prick the drumsticks in order to absorb the seasonings nicely. Sprinkle the salt and black pepper and give it a small massage.




3. Combine all the rest seasonings and pour over the drumsticks. Give it a good stir to make sure every drumstick is soaked with the marinade liquid. Put it into fridge and marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight for better flavor.


4. Use steamer to cook, one cup of water for outer pot and cook for 30 mins







5. Heat a pan with high temperature, fry the pre-cooked drumsticks until both sides turn golden brown. Pour the sauce into pan, turn the heat to medium, slightly move the pan several times to prevent drumsticks from burning.

 

6. Condense the sauce until it becomes half. Sprinkle white sesame before serve.
 

Comments