Taiwanese street food festival 台味食煮 - Day 6 - Fried Avocado Sandwich 酪梨夾心餅 (Inspired by traditional deep fried taro sandwich)

 

TV channels in Taiwan are crammed with food-focused TV shows which used to keep me being a couch potato during weekends. I do not have TV here, so I rely on internet source to being closer to my hometown Taiwan. I came across a clip video on youtube named " 1001 stories in Taiwan (台灣1001個故事)" - it is a short clip (within 10 mins) to introducing famous Taiwanese street food with its success story accompanying with blood, sweat and tears. I was way too emotional when clip running from 5:00 to 5:43. The snack pop out during that period is called " Deep Fried Taro Sandwich" (Zha Yu Tou Bing 炸芋頭餅). It is a traditional Taiwanese street food, deep fried snack with two crackers attached by sweet taro puree in between. It is one of my secret comfort treats, tastes savory and sweet at the same time.  I keep deep fried food out of my life as much as I can, yet, you probably agree that I am privileged to have some in special occasions such as when I fly back to Taiwan. (Unfortunately the clip is in Mandarin, you can still enjoy those addicted snacks by watching and mouth watering :P)

Deep Fried Taro Sandwich



It is unusual to see taro in the market, even getting a fresh one in Asia market is an extravagant demand. My desire of deep fried taro sandwich is completely raised by this evil clip, I have to make something to stop such a craving. Just when I turned my head around, I saw a perfect substitute ingredient: AVOCADO!! JACKPOT!

This avocado version is mush easier than taro one, you do not have to peel the taro skin off which might cause itchiness on your hands, no precooked instruction. All you need to do is pick a nicely ready-to-eat avocado and mix with some honey and boiled hard egg. Dip into a basic mixture and fry it until golden yellow. The only price you might have to pay is too full to have dinner caused by such an irresistible craving!

Ingredients:(Serving 5 pieces)

For avocado sandwich filling
1. A ready-to-eat avocado, mashed
2. 1 egg, hard boiled, peeled
3. 1Tsp honey
4. 1tsp black pepper
5. Pinch of salt
6. 10 piece of crackers (natural flavor preferable)

For deep fried mixture
1. 2 Tsp all purpose flour
2. 5 Tsp water

Instructions: (Fried version)
1. Mix avocado and egg with seasonings thoroughly. Whisk fried mixture in another bowel until it is well-combine.
 

2. Take one piece of cracker, put 2Tsp fillings on the top and cover by another piece of cracker. Slightly press the crackers together. Gently deep into the mixture until it is well-covered.
 

3. Heat oil pan (you could add more oil than the volume you used to have), place the sandwich on the pan and fried till golden brown and crispy. Serve warm and with a cup of nice tea!







 

For the people who are not satisfied with this green yellow avocado version, and want to make traditional deep fried taro sandwich, here I present you one of my favorite Taiwanese cooking shows. A real chef teaches you how to make fantastic taro sandwich! (It is in Mandarin/Taiwanese only, sorry for the reader who doesn't speak those languages. Drop your lines and I would more than happy to help if you are interested in the recipe!!)


Comments