JiJu Inspiration - Cafe Latte Steam Bun : Mantou 拿鐵饅頭


Mantou is typically eaten as a staple in northern parts of China, as important as broodje in the Netherlands. In Tawian, normally for breakfast, just like the ontbijtkoek here.

Thanks to my flatmate, who is missing this daily consumption food in her home town, I have the motivation to make it happen. She does not have specific preference (or she's being polite to me :)) so I can infuse my inspiration. I have been controlling caffeine intake, no more 2 cups per day and drink with milk. This new revolution works quite well so far, I made myself a cafe latte when I arrive office and seldom take the second one (sometimes because it is almost noon when I aware of it). I take advantage of working spirits into this mantou recipe by using two important components of wake-me-up weapon - milk and coffee to make duo colour mantous.

This my second time making mantou (Check here to see why I love mantou so much) and I am proud I am having huge progress in terms of texture and presentation. It looks smoothy and tasty with its glory skin, and smells fresh and charming in the sunny sunday morning. Combining taste in the mouth is worthy spending some time in the kitchen. Start my day with a Cafe Latte Mantou is another beautiful day! Hope these mantous could warm my flatmates heart just like they warmed mine.

 


Ingredients:(Serving 8 buns)

Coffee Steamed Bun
1. 150g All purpose flour
2. 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3. 80g warm coffee, about 35c degree
4. 20g sugar
5. Pinch of salt

Milk Steamed Bun
1. 150 g All purpose flour
2. 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3. 90g warm milk, about 35 degree
4. 10g sugar
5. Pinch of salt

Instructions:

1. Add yeast into warm coffee and leave it for 5 mins
2. Mix all the ingredient together. Place the dough on the table, start kneading for 8-10 mins until it becomes a soft and smooth dough.
 

3. Place into a bowel and cover with a damp towel, leave 1.5- 2 hours for proof until it doubles its size.








4. Add yeast into warm milk and leave it for mins.Repeat instruction 2-3 for milk dough.
5. After dough is  proved, remove from the bowel. Sprinkle some flour on the table against stickiness before shaping.Squeeze out the air by kneading the dough into a smooth condition. Flat the dough into 30cm*20cm square.
 

6. Place two dough together and start rolling from the edge of the dough carefully and compactly to a log. Squeeze out the air by gently rubbing the log with palms
 

7. Trim two sides of dough and divide into 8 portion.








8. Place each bun on a baking paper and put into steamer layer with led. Heat up the water to 35c degree and set the steamer layer on. Prof for another 40 mins until it double its size.
9. Steam it with medium heat for 15 mins. Turn off the heat and slightly slide the lid to make a small leak to let warm steam come out for 10 mins. This would prevent steamed bun from shrinking back quickly.
 

10. Serve warm with hot soy milk or cafe latte which you find is preferable.




Comments