Healthy ingredient discovery - Stir fried Lotus Root 養生蓮藕肉片


Life is full of possibilities, never say no at the first place and everything deserves a second shot. This is also applicable to my philosophy of eating and cooking I just realize recently. My way of cooking has been shaped by mom and grandma, such an environment also gave me ingredients constraint. I was comfortable to use the same range of ingredients,yet, since I'd moved abroad, I've been consistently influenced by my boyfriend upon eating as a result of keeping challenge myself to use various ingredient to enrich my daily diet. Here comes another example-lotus root.

It could not really recall the chance that lotus root was on the table during childhood, the most possible occasion should be cooked with rib soup. I am not a soup person so you can imagine it was totally out of my league. On contrary, my boyfriend is a big fan of soup, without doubt, lotus root is one of super foods in his eyes.

While he was making his secret rib soup, I took some for new recipe creation, at least for me it is a new experiment. To well-balance its crunchy texture, the pork slices coated by potato starch can provide sense of smoothness. Goji berry lights up its sweet-tangy flavors, and final drops of Shaoxing wine just complete the whole dish and bring to the next level. I am satisfied with this new dish, I can guarantee that you will love it if this is the first time to add this ingredient on your supper. I can also make a promise that I would design more lotus root recipes in the future if I could keep finding fresh, quality ones around because this is such a treasure from the Earth!

 

Ingredients:
1. Medium lotus root, 0.5cm sliced
2. 100 gram pork, flat sliced
3. Handful of goji berry
4. Thumb-size ginger, stripped
5. Handful chopped scallion

Seasonings:
Marinade
1. 1tsp soy sauce
2. 1tsp sake
3. 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
4. 1tsp sweet potato starch

Stir fried Lotus Root
1. 100cc water
2. Drops of Shaoxing wine
3. Salt for taste

Instructions:
1. Heat oil pan, stir fry ginger till aromatic. Put ginger aside in the pan, add 1tsp oil into marinated pork and combine well to prevent from stickiness while cooking. Cook the pork until both side of color just turn white. Remove pork from the pan.
 

2. Pour in lotus root and give a good stir. Add 100c water, lid on and cook for 8-10 mins with a medium heat. Until lotus become soft and a bit sticky, add in goji berry and cook for another 3 mins.
 

3. Combine with pork, season with salt. Some drops of Shaoxing wine and chopped scallion before set on the plate. Serve warm with rice.







 

Comments